Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Turkey with Black Bean and Salsa Skillet, Blogaholism, and What was the Point?

As you may have gathered, I read a LOT of blogs of basically every variety: food/cooking/baking, fitness, personal, parenting, dating/relationship, fashion, lifestyle, humor, and you name it.  I think my Google Reader subscription list is still over 300 and I have pared it down a lot.  But what I love about reading blogs is the inside look into people's lives.  Now granted, people are not who they appear to be on their site by and large.  The author gives you their own spin on events which out of necessity, must be filtered somewhat.  Some things are exaggerated for effect, some things are outright bullshit, omissions are made, etc etc.  Still I find it fascinating to see how other people's lives unfold and the way in which they choose to present it.  And what is really fascinating is how invested the readers become in their lives as well.

Hmmm.  I wonder what my point was.  I probably didn't actually have one.  I think my point is this...  In this space, I really only talk about my cooking endeavors.  There are some things that I just can't or won't talk about.  However, I have a LOT of other projects going on and as time goes on, I'll be talking more about those as well.  In the past couple of weeks, shit has really taken off.  Based on a conversation today, it is about to get really fracking awesome.  Once we have it up and running, I will fill y'all in.  Promise.

*****

Let's EAT.  As I mentioned previously, I get a lot of requests from people for ideas for quick, easy dinners.  I came up with this after vacantly staring in the fridge and frankly, enjoying the cool breeze from it ((it was 108 here today)).  A turkey with black bean and salsa skillet.



What you need for two servings:

1/2 pound ground turkey
1 cup of black beans, drained and rinsed
1/3 cup ((or more)) of a salsa of your choice
1/4 cup of shredded Mexican cheese
2 tablespoons of sour cream
Tortillas
Lime
Cilantro

Make it:

Start by browning the ground turkey in a skillet.  Crumble it up using a spatula or a fork into small pieces.  Once all the pink is out, add the salsa and the black beans.  Stir and heat through.

Heat your tortillas by placing them between two paper towels and microwaving for 30 seconds.  Pile on the turkey/bean/salsa and then top with shredded cheese, sour cream, a squeeze of lime, and some cilantro.

There are lots of other things you could add if you have time...  Chopped onions, avocado, sweet corn ((I used a corn salsa)), or whatever you want!

This came together in less than ten minutes which is exactly what I'm talking about when it is hot and you haven't had anything but seven diet cokes all day.  

Nutritional Info for one serving:  Approximately 230 calories ((using reduced-fat cheese, fat-free sour cream, and small tortillas)) and 4 grams of fat.




This didn't photograph very well... the light was weird and blah blah blah ... but it was really good and filling.  Luckily, I have a photography student who has asked if she can work with me to build her portfolio!  I just need to come up with something colorful to make and find a time that works with our schedules.  I'm super-excited about it.  As I've said before, I'm no photographer.  I actually don't own a real camera and only take these pictures with my phone.  So when you see super pretty pictures, you will know that is her work!

*****

I need to crank out some more writing tonight and figure out why my dog won't stop growling at the wall.  Be back tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. Parenting blogs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, why not? A lot of them are actually about family/relationships... And frankly, what happens with young women is you start reading their stuff and then pretty soon they end up with a husband and kids.

      Delete