Sunday, May 20, 2012

Sloppy Turkey Joe's the Easy Way and Sloppy Turkey Joe's the Slightly Less Easy Way

This morning I was in the midst of a laundry-o-rama when the phone rang.  Before I knew it, it was 90 minutes later, my ear was numb, and I was STARVING.  I had been planning to make Sloppy Joe's ((or Barbecues)) with turkey burger, but I was suddenly in that "eff that, it takes too much time" frame of mind.  So I came up with an on-the-fly short cut which would be perfect for those of you who struggle with weeknight dinners.  It took less than 15 minutes.  My normal Sloppy Joe or barbecue sauce recipe will come after...

Turkey Joe's, sweet corn, and pineapple
What you need to serve 4:

1 lb of ground turkey
1/2 cup of Trader Joe's Barbecue Sauce*
*Some* minced onion and minced garlic

What you do:

Brown the ground turkey in a large pan.  Once browned, throw in the barbecue sauce and the spices.  Stir to combine, reduce the heat, cover, and let simmer for a few minutes.  Serve on a toasted, buttered bun with pickle slices or whatever you like.  ((I'm using sandwich thins because I bought a pack and I swear to John Lithgow they are reproducing in my refrigerator.))

*You can use any brand of barbecue sauce you like, obviously.  TJ's has a nice smoky, sweetness to it though.  I also like the Jack Daniels' brand of sauces though.

I know this is nothing earth-shattering, but it wasn't an idea that had occurred to me before and I don't think I've ever heard it suggested somewhere.  I suspect I will make this a lot.  Served along side some sweet corn and fresh pineapple, it feels like summer, no?

Nutritional Info for just the meat:  1/4 pound serving is approximately 180 calories and 2 grams of fat if you use the super lean variety.  SCORE.


Now here is how someone who isn't about to eat their own arm off might make the sauce...

Ingredients:


1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons chopped onion
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
1 pinch celery salt
1 pinch mustard powder

Basically all you do is throw that all in a sauce pan, stir to combine, and let it simmer on low for about 5 minutes.  You can then add it to your browned turkey or beef.  

Unfortunately, this is another one of the recipes that has been in my email folder for a few years and I am clueless as to where it came from.  The calorie count would be about the same though.

*****

I'm off to do some boning up on my new writing gig!

No comments:

Post a Comment