Thursday, April 19, 2012

Sopapilla Cheesecake, Pronunciation Guides, and Time Outs

As I mentioned yesterday, last night I delivered dinner to a friend and for dessert, I made a sopapilla cheesecake.  I was googling around looking for unusual Mexican-style desserts and this practically jumped out of the screen at me from amidst eleventy billion recipes for flan.  This comes to us courtesy of Allrecipes.com.

Sopapillas ((soap-a-pee-yas for you Gringos)) are fluffy pastries with cinnamon and sugar and that are typically drizzled with honey.  In this recipe, they are layered with a more traditional cheesecake.


I posted this picture on Facebook and it blew up with various levels of begging for the recipe or for me to deliver either a piece or an entire pan to their home/office/secret-away-from-the-kids-eating-place.

What you need:


3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 (8 ounce) cans crescent roll dough
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Go:

Preheat the oven to 350.

Using your mixer, combine the three packages of cream cheese ((I actually used the reduced-fat version which now seems vaguely ridiculous)), the sugar, and the vanilla.  Beat it until it is totally smooth, being sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the mixing bowl.

Lay out the crescent rolls on a piece of waxed paper.  Each tube contains a long sheet that you would normally divide into eight separate rolls, but instead, roll out the dough with a rolling pin to make it the same size as your pan.  ((I used a 9 x 13 glass dish.))  It's a little hard to work with because it is kind of sticky and it doesn't help that it was 82 degrees in my house when I was doing this, but I REFUSE to turn on the air until this weekend when we hit 100 degrees.  ((UGH.))  This isn't going to be perfect, it doesn't have to be.  Don't sweat it.  Repeat with the second tube of dough.

After spraying the dish with cooking spray, lay one of the rolled out crescent dough sheets in the bottom.  On top of that, spread all of the cream cheese/sugar/vanilla concoction.  Put the other layer of dough on top of that.

Pour the melted butter over the top of the whole works.

In a small bowl, mix together the cinnamon and sugar.  Sprinkle this into the butter.

Bake for approximately 45 minutes until the dough is golden brown and fluffy.  Let it cool completely before cutting ((yeah, good luck with that.))  Keep the leftovers ((if you have any)) in the refrigerator, tightly covered.

*****

I finally had to declare myself on hiatus for a couple of days.  I've been running around like a maniac and needed to call a time out!  I have a brunch and trunk show this Sunday at the house and let's just say, my cleaning lady?  She doesn't exist.  I also need to do a bunch of baking for that, get my vendors organized, hopefully make the sauce for canning if these effing tomatoes ever ripen up, and figure out the menu.  Add in that I am filming on Saturday for a cooking segment ((SQUEEE!!)) and I really needed a day or two to get prepared.  Now what the hell am I going to wear for Saturday?!  How am I going to keep myself from goddamn swearing?!  This may go straight to youtube.  I'm thinking it will be quite entertaining.  
 


2 comments:

  1. YES!! It's posted! I may as well bend over and apply it to my ass right now.Good luck with all that other shiz :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is perfect! I'm (kind of) hosting (we're crashing a friends house with a pool but I'm bringing all the food) a Margarita Party and this would be the perfect dessert and it's SO EASY!

    ReplyDelete