Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Salad Savoy with Green Apples, Chips Ahoy, and Advil

If I recounted everything I have accomplished in the last 48 hours, you would require a handful of Advil, a back rub, and a renewed will to live.  The quick recap is I have planned and shopped for an event for 200 this week, did a massive amount of unpacking at my mother's new digs, and have almost all the details worked out for a fundraiser that is occurring next week.  Each of those things alone are major undertakings, but let's do this Jules style and cram them all into a matter of hours.  Why?  Because why not?!

Clean living has not been entirely abandoned...  ((Although I do believe moving is carte blanc to drink beer.))  Today I set out to use the salad savoy that was in my fridge.  I get so damn sick of the same old salads.  Here's a glimpse inside my head.  Take cover if you want.  Internal dialogue:  Oh I know.  Let's have another fracking salad with some boring romaine, oh and how about some balsamic for the millionth time, and let's be crazy and add a tomato.  WHOO!  Over it.  #endinternaldialogue

Salad savoy is, I'm not going to lie, a little scary looking.  It's apparently the ((unacknowledged by the rest of the family)) relative of cabbage and does kind of taste like cabbage.  But, it makes for a nice change of pace, especially when you are trying to clean up your act.


Salad Savoy...  Sounds like Chips Ahoy


Here's what happens when you rotate the plate about 180 degrees

What you need for two or so servings:

A bunch of savoy, white stems removed
Julienned strips of carrot
1 granny apple ((you know, like, the green ones?))
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons lime juice
3 tablespoons apple juice
1/4 teaspoon smashed caraway seeds
Pepper

To hell with romaine anyway:

Start by rinsing and chopping the salad savoy.  Get the white parts out.  There.  Good enough.  Julienne some carrots. ((I can hear it:  WTF is JULIENNE-ING?!?!))  To be simple, take your vegetable peeler and get the "outside" off the carrot.  Then keep running it down the length to get little strips like you see in the picture.  Sounds fancy, huh?  Nope, so not.  Chop up a green apple.  Throw all that in a bowl.

For the dressing, just whisk together the lime juice, apple juice, and olive oil.  I actually didn't have apple juice so I took my citrus juice and squeezed a red apple.  It worked just fine.  Then take the mortar and pestle ((which I'm sure you don't have)) and smash up the caraway seeds a little bit.  Or you can take the back of a spoon and pound on the little bastards until they break up slightly and call it good enough.  ((Guess which I did?!))  Whisk that in and dump it over the cabbage relative, apple, and carrots.  Crack a little pepper on top.

Let it sit at room temp for about 30-45 minutes for the savoy to get wilt-y.  ((There's that word again.))  Voila!

Nutritional Info:  HOLY SHIT, YOU WIN!  This has virtually no calories in it.  Just maybe 50 or so from the little bit of olive oil you ingest and 40 from the half of an apple.  Let's call it 120 per serving and maybe 1 gram of fat.

This recipe was adapted slightly from Epicurious.com.  

*****

I am going to be a cooking MACHINE for the next two days.  Tomorrow we are making salmon, parsley potatoes, grilled asparagus, and apple crisp so stay tuned!  The following day?  Oh good Lord, I can't start thinking about it right now or I'll need another handful of Advil.  See ya tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment