Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Pasta, Can-A-Rama, and Gargamel

What is a step up from burning the candle at both ends?  Burning it from the middle?  Just melting the bastard down to wax?  To the extreme, nuking the entire candle factory?  I might be at that point.  I have eleventy thousand and twenty-eight things going on at once which is fracking fantastic, but I will confess that last night I thought, "I don't know what in the hell I am doing.  With anything.  At all.  <<High-pitched scream here.>>"  I then realized, um, yeah, I do know what I'm doing, that isn't the problem.  I just don't know where I'm going.  I then decided that while I may not know where I am going, as Bowie said, I know it won't be boring.  And that is way more than good enough for me.  I hate boring.  Boring is my mortal enemy.  Boring is my Gargamel.  ((I wonder if anyone has ever referenced David Bowie and the Smurfs in the same paragraph before?  Doubtful.))  

*****  

Let's make something.  This isn't complicated but I would eat this every single day for the rest of forever.  No, I'm not exaggerating.  Well, not much.  Pasta with pesto, sun-dried tomatoes, pine nuts, and Parmesan.


For two:

1 cup of uncooked pasta ((As previously discussed when I first started writing here, I prefer orecchiette, which I still have trouble spelling.))
2 tablespoons of pesto  ((I provided instructions on how to make your own pesto in that same post or you can use a prepared kind.  I like Progresso's best if I don't make it fresh.))
4 tablespoons-ish sun-dried tomatoes
2 tablespoons-ish toasted pine-nuts
1 tablespoon-ish of fresh-grated Parmesan

Go:

Boil the water for the pasta and follow the package directions.

Slice the tomatoes into small pieces, after draining the oil.

Toast the pine-nuts in a small sauté pan for 2-3 minutes over a medium-high heat, just until they get a little bit browned.

When the pasta is done, drain it well, and shake the shit out of it to get the extra water out ((particularly with orecchiette which tends to hold water in the little cuppy-things)).  In a small bowl, mix together the pesto and the pasta.  Remove it to a plate and top with the tomatoes, pine nuts, and some Parmesan.



Seriously, every day.

Nutritional info:  Approximately 400 calories and 8 grams of fat if you go easy on the cheese and don't use a lot of oil in the pesto.  When I buy prepared pesto, I actually spoon out the oil that has floated to the top.  I usually get like 2-3 tablespoons out of a really small jar.  Hey, every little bit counts dammit.

*****

There is a LOT of goodness coming up around here...  Lots, lots, lots.  But I have to say I am really excited for what I am calling the Can-a-Rama next week.  We have ordered FIFTY POUNDS of Roma tomatoes and will be saucing up a storm.  My kitchen is going to be a bloody disaster!  Ooh I can't wait.  Prego can suck it!

No comments:

Post a Comment