Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Crockpot Chicken with Carrots and Cauliflower, Chalkboards, and Chores

Busy, busy day.  Most of it self-inflicted.  I knew given the pace I was keeping at 11 am that dinner was going to end up being microwave popcorn if I didn't act early.  I elected to fire up ye olde slow cooker to be sure that didn't happen.

Chicken, Carrots, Cauliflower, and C(P)otatoes.  I wanted them all to start with C. 

This is incredibly simple, but so, so good.

What you need:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4 potatoes, sliced
4 carrots, sliced
1/2 head of cauliflower, tree-ed ((you know what I mean))
1 red pepper, chopped
Steak seasoning
Parmesan

What you do:

Spray your slow cooker/crock pot with cooking spray.  Throw in the chicken first ((it can be frozen even)) and then add all the chopped veggies.  Sprinkle the top with steak seasoning.  Set it to high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.  IT IS THAT EASY.  You don't even need to stir it.  When it is done, sprinkle a little Parmesan on top.

But what you get is incredibly healthy and flavorful with no butter, no sauce, no oil, and incredibly good.  This is forkable chicken, no knife required.  It also reheats really well.

 
Makes four servings.  Nutritional info:  Sainthood!  Approximately 320 calories, 2 grams of fat (not including the cheese on top.)

*****

So what was I so busy doing?  Work-work, 5 different errands, planning a vegan/vegetarian menu for a bachelorette brunch which was a bit of a challenge, but a fun one, finalizing stuff for the fundraiser on Saturday, making shopping lists, a bunch of chores, an hour of yoga, dealing with a bunch of crap mail and email, scoring/ordering another hundred dollars in free kitchen stuff for a grand total now of $900 in FREE stuff, and going off on a creative tangent.

I had the idea to make menu boards for these various events, but I wanted to use a chalkboard so I could reuse them, blah blah blah, uninteresting reasons, blah.  So I took off for the craft store with nothing more than a vague idea and put myself in the capable hands of someone who clearly doesn't read past a 4th grade level.  AWESOME.  Anyway, I left with things that I thought would fulfill my own amorphous ((I hope I'm using that right)) ideas, came back, did some spray painting, managed not to spray paint myself or the dogs, and they are done!  Apparently you have to wait 24 hours for them to "cure" which is of course, killing me.  I am not good at delayed gratification.  I'll post a picture tomorrow.  If this works, I'm a damn genius.  If not, it is the 4th grade reading ability girl's fault.

*****

There has been a lot of new traffic around here.  ((Waves vigorously at the new people!!))  Feel free to say hi...  Off to do some studying.     

No comments:

Post a Comment